The Nullafi Shield Admin Console provides a graphical user interface for configuring policy, viewing status, and examining event data. It is a web application which can be accessed using any web browser. The Admin Console is available after the Shield container is started. Access is governed by the defined container options (see Deployment). In the simplest case, browsing to the container host’s IP address on the mapped NULLAFI_HTTP_PORT will open the Admin Console login screen, and using the NULLAFI_USERNAME and NULLAFI_PASSWORD will allow the administrator to log in.
The policy engine is at the heart of Nullafi Shield. It does the work of examining the data being accessed, classifying it, and deciding whether it should be passed through to the user. The Policy section of the Admin Console is where rules are created to control the engine’s behavior.
Mask Formats define how Shield should protect data that it finds. US Social Security numbers are commonly shown in redacted form, hiding the first five digits but displaying the last four. Some data should be hidden entirely, including not just the information itself but also how much of it is there.
New Mask Format
To define a new mask format, click on the Add New Mask Format button in the upper right hand corner. The editing window will slide out from the right. To define a Mask Format:
Type the Name for the new mask format into the text field
Setup the mask format:
- Mask Character: The placeholder character for the obfuscated value (eg. "*" will turn "example" into "******")
- Stop Character: The character to stop the obfuscation, to allow partial obfuscation (eg. "@" will turn "email@example.com" into "******@domain.com").
- Characters to Ignore: The characters you want to ignore when obfuscating (eg. "@." will turn "firstname.lastname@example.org" into "****.***@*****.***)
- Number of Characters: The amount of characters you want to obfuscate or to keep depending on the Behaviour
- To Mask: Number of Characters 2 will turn "john.doe" into "**hn.doe"
- To Keep: Number of Characters 2 will turn "john.doe" into "jo******
- Reverse Masking Order: This option defines if you want to keep/mask the number of characters from the start of from the beggining of the value. On the example above if you choose to reverse the order it would bevahe as bellow:
- To Mask: Number of Characters 2 will turn "john.doe" into "john.d**"
- To Keep: Number of Characters 2 will turn "john.doe" into "******oe"
Edit Mask Format
To edit an existing mask format, hover your mouse over the Mask Format Name, click on the three-dot menu that appears, and choose Edit. The editing window will slide out from the right.
Delete Mask Format
To delete a mask format, hover your mouse over the Mask Format Name, click on the three-dot menu that appears, and choose Delete.